Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Made It!

A little late, but I made it to San Miguel!


It wasn't the best travel day, but far from the worst. My 7am flight out of MSP was delayed because they had to change planes. (I didn't mind being at the airport so early when I saw passengers get OFF a flight at 6:45am.) We left about 30 minutes late, making the connection in Houston a bit tighter. No worry. When I got to Houston the flight to Leon was posted for a hour later, then left another half hour after that. Fortunately, the van transport to San Miguel was still waiting for me.


The BJX airport between Leon & Guanajuato is new and very nice. Seems Vicente Fox, former president of Mexico and former governor of the state of Guanajuato, thought an airport would be good for the region. It also means avoiding a four-hour bus trip to San Miguel from Mexico city.



The high desert landscape I saw on the way to San Miguel reminded me of the area surrounding Prescott, AZ, where my parents lived for many years. San Miguel, like Prescott, is over a mile high.


I arrived in San Miguel to Casa de la O close to sunset. Better picures will follow. Maria Teresa and her friends Victoria and Gianna came back fro their comida (late lunch) soon after I got there. Great to see MT again and meet her friends. No time for a photo, I needed to get some food. So I headed out toward el jardin (the plaza) and Pueblo Viejo where I had a couple good meals last year.


This was the view from the second floor deck cafe called La Azotea. It was like paparazzi as everyone was angling for a shot of the sunset. Not a bad spot for dinner.


Food is gonna be a big deal on this trip. This is the Pueblo Tacos, with arrachera, pork, and Mexican sausage tacos with green sauce. Excellente! The Negra Modelo speaks for itself.


On the way back from dinner la parroquia (the main parish church) was all lit up as usual.


And mariachi bands were serenading in el jardine. Several bands roam around, but I just listened to this one for awhile.

When I got back to Casa de la O, I sat for a bit and chatted with MT (Mexican living in Canada), Victoria (Mexican), Gianna (Italian), and me (American) talking politics. Different view points. This is going to be interesting.

All in all, a darn good start to this trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks spectacular.

Brady