Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Colorful Day Despite the Overcast Sky

Well, I'm sick. No, not THAT kind of sick, fortunately. A thick head, tight chest kind of cold. Kinda takes the edge off the fun. It was still a good day. Chilly but nowhere near what is happening in Minnesota.

First, I'll get to yesterday's purchases. They are both flat enough to go in the suitcase. I'm sure of it. Monarch butterflies are important in Mexico. Their winter migration to the state of Michoacan to protected sanctuaries is a big deal. As far as Old 3-Eye, I'll have to make sure I can't see this at night.




The day began with sending the Oregonites on their way. Nice peeps. Sorry to see them go.

After a bit of reading and hanging out in the B&B courtyard, we went over to the Art Fair at Instituto Allende. They have several of these fairs every year in the Instituto's courtyard. The word is that it has become more commercial in recent years to meet the increased American dollars in San Miguel. I'd say it was a mix of commercial, true craftsmanship, and the same vendors at the Mercado Artesanías.






Commercial or craft, there was a LOT of color at the Instituto Art Fair.








Maria Teresa and I then went over to El Buen Café (recommended by the Kennedy's of Roseville) for lunch. I just had chicken and rice soup, not really photo worthy. The key to this kind of soup here is to squeeze in some lime juice. It really makes the soup. Same thing with some vegetable soup Lilia served at Casa de la O.

We wandered back toward the jardin and found the Casa de la Inquisidor. This is where the official in charge of local Spanish Inquisition matters had his office. Across the street is the building that held the Inquisition jail. It is now a center for handicapped children.



Many of the buildings in San Miguel have devotionals, or what ever is the correct word, on the corners. The different styles are quite interesting. They also sometimes serve as excellent pidgen roosts.






I headed back to the B&B for a little siesta. On the way I stopped in at a farmacia. The woman behind the counter knew what I meant by "DayQuil, non-drowsy". In Mexico, it's Tabcin Active, I hope.

A flower box along the way on Calle Canal.



Later it was time to head out for dinner. Maria Teresa, Diane, Gayla & I went to El Pegaso Café on Calle Corregidora, one block from the jardin. I had the Filet of Red Snapper with garlic butter sauce. Very good. This small café had been recommended on many websites. They were right.



Tomorrow, Sunday, is my last full day in San Miguel de Allende. For this trip, that is.

2 comments:

1st Mate said...

Peter - thanks for the most thorough photo tour I've ever seen of San Miguel, or maybe anywhere! Now I really want to go there.

petebar said...

¡Hola 1st mate! Muchas gracias for your comments. I'm having a good time putting the blog together. Fortunately, it's impossible to run out of things to photograph in San Miguel. Go back to the blog archives dated July 2007 to see some posts from when I was in San Miguel the first time in January 07.

Peter