Sunday, July 15, 2007

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, January 2007


I had a great time in beautiful San Miguel de Allende. To quote my friend Linda K, “...where stop signs are mere suggestions, people are warm, streets are bumpy, sidewalks are narrow, weather is embracing, vistas are splendid, food is delicious, prices--in general--are cheap, and culture and history are everywhere.” San Miguel is an old colonial town, founded in the 1540’s. It is over 6000 feet up in the mountains of central Mexico, four hours north of Mexico City. The entire central core of San Miguel has been preserved as a national historic monument.

This was my first trip to Mexico, not including the day-trip to Tijuana when I was about 8 while we were visiting relatives in Los Angeles. I met some great people who became friends. I went to a classical chamber music/jazz/traditional indigenous music concert, took a bus tour to three surrounding historic towns, visited Diego Rivera’s birthplace and museum, attended the opening of a Frida Kahlo exhibit, witnessed the spectacle of the birthday celebration and parade for revolutionary war hero General Ignacio Allende, saw a lot of interesting old architecture, walked my tail off, ate some (mostly) great food, took a few pictures, and enjoyed myself very much.

Muchas gracias to Maggie & Charlie!

Peter Barber

Send me an email at sanmiguel@petebar.com

No comments: